Saturday, June 26, 2010

Basecamp Ufa

Ufa,

Last night ended with a warm pina colada, this morning started with a 4:30 am alarm.

Although I've suffered a few minor setbacks in the 2 days I've been in Russia, I've gained extensive knowledge of the Moscow train system. I guess that's a plus. Today, I put that knowledge to the test. Shortly after my wake up I meandered to the metro station and waited for it to open. Since I had already taken my mulligan by missing the first flight, I was a little impatient and grabbed a taxi to take me to the Belorusskaya Vokzal (Where the express trains to the airport run). I bought my ticket, boarded the train, and got to the airport around 6.

This time I did my homework and made sure I ended up at the right terminal. Unlike the airports I am used to, the only way to get in between terminals is by bus, there is no rail system to link them. I did battle with Sheremetyevo Terminal D and won, barely, after marching around the entire complex looking for my checked bags and Aeroflot booth.

After landing in Ufa I pulled out my cowboy hat, which I bought just for this occasion, and put it on. I'm not sure what I'm doing right (Or wrong?) but people around me continued to ask me for directions like I was Russian. I think it's because of this that I don't feel like a foreigner this time around. The language isn't so impenetrable as it was last time. I've tuned my mannerisms to fit my surroundings, and I know what to expect from the culture. Life is good.

Good news, however, must always be tempered with a little bit of not-so-good news (I made that up specifically for the purposes of this paragraph but I don't actually believe it. Feel free to quote me. And yes, to your question, I am awesome). On Tuesday I will be heading to my DeitskiyLager (Childrens Camp) where I will be teaching English and winning at life. I look forward to it but I will be there, most likely, for 30 days non-stop. Thus, I will be off the grid for the duration of my stay.

More to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment